Greenwich Interfaith Mission to Israel – February 2018
Whether you are a veteran traveler or a first-time visitor to the Holyland, you are invited to join Temple Sholom and Christ Church of Greenwich with Rabbi Mitch Hurvitz and Reverend James Lemler on the Greenwich Interfaith Mission to Israel.
THE TOUR WILL INCLUDE:
- Visit the ancient city of Caesarea
- Ascend the Golan Heights
- Enjoy ATV jeep rides while hearing about the security issues Israel faces
- Enjoy Israel's wine at a wine tasting
- Meet with a Kabbalist in Tsfat
- Visit the home of Jesus Christ
- View the Temple Mount and learn about it's complexities
- Join thousands at the Western Wall for Friday night
- Visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
- Enjoy a Shabbat Dinner at a local's house
- Ascend the fortress of Masada
- Pay tribute to the 6 million lives lost at the Yad Vashem Holocaust remembrance museum
- Entrance fee into all sites and attractions
- Full backing Israel Maven support staff to ensure smooth running of the trip
- Unforgettable, Amazing, Memories for Life and much more!
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 12TH - ARRIVAL- NORTH
- Welcome to Israel!!! Arrival at Ben Gurion airport on ELAL flight #TBD where you will be met by Israel Maven representatives
- Welcoming and tree planting ceremony at Neot Kedumim
- Explore the amazing ruins of the City of Caesarea - Discuss the dilemmas of living a Jewish life surrounded by an appealing Hellenistic culture and learn about the Mediterranean progression of early Christianity
- Continue North
- Dinner at the Hotel
Overnight: Kibbutz Kfar Blum Guest house
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH - UPPER GALILEE
- Full Israeli breakfast at hotel
- Nature walk along the beautiful streams of the Banyas River, one of the main water sources to the Jordan River. Visit the beautiful waterfall and the ancient flower mill named Caesarea Philippi by the Gospels
- 11:00am ATV rides on the slopes of the Golan Heights
- Falafel/picnic Lunch (included)
- Discover the Mystical City of Tzfat including beautiful synagogues, picturesque alleyways and artists’ colony
- Meet with a local Kabbalist - Sheva Chaya- who expresses Kabbala through her craft of glass blowing
- Arrive in Tiberias and hear about Jesus of Nazareths Galiliean ministry
- Dinner at Decks restaurant overlooking the Sea of Galilee (included)
Overnight: Kibbutz Kfar Blum Guest houseDay 2
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14TH – GOLAN AND SEA OF GALILEE AREA- TO JERUSALEM
- Full Israeli breakfast at the hotel - check out
- Ascend the Golan Heights and visit the old Israeli outpost of Mount Bental as we receive a security briefing on the relationship between Israel and Syria
- Wine tasting at a local boutique winery
- Lunch in the Golan (on own)
- Overlook the Sea of Galilee in prayer at the Mount of the Beatitudes where the “Sermon on the Mount” occurred
- Explore the ancient city of Capernaum; the birthplace of Peter, the home of Jesus and explore the Synagogue and unique house found on site
- Continue to Jerusalem
- Welcome ceremony upon arrival to Jerusalem at Yemin Moshe
- Dinner at hotel (included)
Overnight: David Citadel Hotel, JerusalemDay 3
FEBRUARY 15TH – OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM- CITY OF 3 RELIGIONS
- Full Israeli breakfast at the hotel
- Introduction to Jerusalem of 3 religions atop the Mount of Olives
- Stroll through the Christian Quarter and learn about the birth of Christianity during the 2nd Temple Period. Visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and part of the Via Dolorosa
- Hear the story of the Jewish Quarter - Synagogues, Cardo and small alleyways
- Lunch in the Jewish Quarter (on own)
- Meet with local Jewish Quarter family to discuss life today
- Overlook the Temple Mount from the rooftop of Aish and discuss Islam in Jerusalem
- Time for reflection at the Western Wall - The Kotel
- Hear the secrets of the Jewish Temple as you walk through the Western Wall tunnels
- Dinner on own in Jerusalem
Overnight: David Citadel Hotel, JerusalemDay 4
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH – YAD VASHEM AND EIN KAREM- PREP FOR SHABBAT
- Full Israeli breakfast at the hotel
- Pay tribute to the Six Million Jews who perished in the Holocaust at Yad Vashem Memorial Museum. Hear stories about leadership and heroism during the most difficult times for the Jewish people
- Lunch on own at the museum's cafeteria
- Theatrical tour of the picturesque neighborhood of Nachlaot as they prepare for Shabbat
- Prepare for Shabbat
- Join thousands as they bring in the Shabbat in song at the Kotel
- Enjoy home hospitality with "Shabbat of a Lifetime"- while experiencing a Shabbat dinner hosted by a local Jerusalem family
Overnight: David Citadel Hotel, JerusalemDay 5
SHABBAT, FEBRUARY 17TH – SHABBAT IN JERUSALEM
- Full Israeli breakfast at hotel
- Visit different synagogues in the vicinity
- Visit the Israel Museum including the Shrine of the book and the model of the 2nd Temple
- Rest at the hotel
- Lunch at the hotel
- Meet with a reporter to hear the latest update on local politics and the Arab Israeli conflict
- OPTION 1: Theatrical tour of the local neighborhoods Yemin Moshe and Mishkanot Shaananim
- OPTION 2: Tour of the Cenacle – the room of the Last Supper and Mount Zion
- Musical Havdalah
- Shopping & dinner time on Ben Yehuda Street (not included)
Overnight: David Citadel Hotel, JerusalemDay 6
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 18TH – JUDEAN DESERT
- Full Israeli breakfast at hotel
- Depart for the Judean Desert
- Ascend Masada by cable car & relive the bitter confrontation between Zealots & Romans
- Lunch and spa (included) at one of the hotels in the Dead Sea area. Float on the Dead Sea
- Take a moment for prayer and reflection in the Judean Desert as we stop for an overlook of the St. George Monastery
- Dinner, camel riding and desert hospitality at Genesis Land (included)
Overnight: David Citadel Hotel, JerusalemDay 7
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH – JERUSALEM- TEL AVIV
- Full Israeli breakfast at hotel- check out
- Stroll through the picturesque neighborhood of Ein Karem - home to John the Baptist
- Lunch on own in the vibrant Machane Yehuda Market
- Continue to Tel Aviv
- Stop at the Armored Corp Museum of Latrun and learn about some of the most advanced tanks in the world
- Settle into hotel- relax
- Dinner on own in Tel Aviv
Overnight: Ritz Carlton Hotel, HerzeliyahDay 8
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH– TEL AVIV
- Full Israeli breakfast at hotel
- Introduction to Tel Aviv at the Old City of Jaffa- the “Gateway to the Holy Land”
- Visit St. Peter’s Church in Jaffa
- Relive the exciting moment of the declaration of the State of Israel at Independence Hall
- Lunch on own and stroll through the Nachalat Binyamin Arts and crafts fair
- Afternoon at leisure for shopping, walking along the beach and more
- Late check out from the hotel
- Final Banquet and trip summary at “Alternative” restaurant in Tel Aviv (included)
- Travel to Ben Gurion Airport
- 12:45am- Depart for the US on Flight
NEXT YEAR IN JERUSALEM!!!Day 9
We are pleased to present to you the itinerary and tour package for your Israel Mission. These have been carefully crafted to provide an experience that is engaging, fun, uplifting, informative and inspirational for both first-timers and repeat visitors. All of our tours adhere to the highest standards of professionalism and you can be sure to expect the friendly, warm & dedicated service that have endeared us to thousands of satisfied clients.
Enjoy your trip to Israel to it's fullest at these luxurious and centrally located hotels!
Kibbutz Kfar Blum Guest House
Surrounded by the beauty of the Galilee, facing the Golan and Galilee mountains and just a few steps from the Jordan River, you will find Pastoral, a fountain of peace and tranquility. This is a place where the pioneers’ tradition of hospitality meets the sounds of classical music, where harmony emanates from the human soul and from the depths of the earth.
Lush greenery, endless lawns, charming shady spots and inviting sitting areas await you. Take a break from the busy city to visit northern Israel – the birds of the Hula Valley, the mountain streams, the peacefulness and green surroundings are all part of the relaxing atmosphere you will enjoy as a guest at Pastoral.
Indulge yourself in one of the hotel's 189 delightful rooms, all of which are surrounded by greenery and overlook the magical Galilee landscape. A luxurious spa, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a restaurant offering a culinary experience of Galilee flavors and aromas, a selection of conference rooms and banquet halls, and a wide range of local attractions.
David Citadel Hotel, Jerusalem
Standing directly opposite Jerusalem's Old City walls, the David Citadel hotel enjoys a stunning location in a city steeped in thousands of years of history, culture and tradition. The timeless alleyways of the Old City, the Western Wall and Tower of David, the bustling Machne Yehuda market, the Mamilla Avenue and an abundance of New City attractions are all within easy walking distance from this landmark hotel in Jerusalem.
Originally designed by Moshe Safdie, winner of the AIA Gold Medal, the David Citadel's well-planned public spaces and 385 luxuriously appointed rooms and suites have recently received a facelift by renowned Italian designer Piero Lissoni who introduced the warm atmosphere of Jerusalem through natural lighting, traditional colors and rich artworks painted by David Roberts during his 1834 Grand Tour. Lissoni's vision included oak parquet flooring, abundant greenery, soft lights and textured fabrics in a palette of rich colors that welcome guests today.
Ritz Carlton Hotel, Herzeliyah
As one of the newest luxury resorts in Tel Aviv, Israel, The Ritz-Carlton, Herzliya provides a Mediterranean retreat for the quintessential Israeli getaway. Enjoy a magnificently crafted experience that entreats the senses: in the delectable cuisine and wine featured in our kosher restaurant; in the signature treatments of our luxurious spa; and the stunning views that come compliments of our Tel Aviv resort’s luxurious guest rooms and suites.
We at Israel Maven work together with Phone Away From Home and recommend them for all cell phone and SIM card rentals during your trip to Israel.
Rent a cell phone or a SIM while traveling through Israel and stay connected as though you never left. All of their plans offer unlimited calls and texting within Israel, unlimited calls to the US and Canada, unlimited incoming calls and texts, and up to 3GB of browsing data. Simple, inexpensive, and straightforward. To view the great products, services available to you and prices, please click here.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Israel Maven Tours representative by emailing Info@IsraelMaven.com or you may call us toll free on 1-866-317-9307.
What are the goals of the program?
Our hope is that by the end of the trip, the participants will have a stronger connection to the Jewish homeland. It is the job of our terrific guides to make that connection happen through their eyes and their love to the land and its people. The Itinerary has many elements to it including different aspects of Israel: History, religion, Zionism, challenges facing the Israeli society, security and many others. The combination of these elements, make Israel such a unique place to visit- especially for a Synagogue mission.
Q: Will there be free time on the program?
Yes, we try to balance touring and programming with unstructured free time in different locations around the country so that you are free to shop, explore the local culture, meet with friends and family, sit by the pool or simply relax. Should you wish to “opt out” of any of the activities of the program, you are requested to coordinate this with the group leader and tour operator so that we can plan accordingly.
Q: What are the security issues facing Israel today- should we be concerned?
The security in Israel is always a concern on travelers to Israel. As of today, there are no security warnings or alerts for travelers coming to Israel. Israel Maven is daily contact with the "security room" which is the office of the Ministry of Defense dealing with travelling in Israel. We receive daily updates, and get updated on a regular basis through SMS and phone on any irregularity in the daily routine of Israel. Note, that although what is seen around the world on the media about what goes on in Israel is usually conflict, the reality is different. Millions of visitors come to Israel annually and some of them even feel safer here than in their own country. Changes in itinerary that need to be made due to safety or security concerns are done without hesitation. We are also in close contact with Israeli Police & SPNI (Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel) to ensure that all safety & security guidelines are updated in real-time based on changing circumstances. Both participants & staff receive detailed guidelines aimed at ensuring that the no one is hurt or harmed in any way. These guidelines range from appropriate footwear on hikes to keeping hydrated, to avoiding certain areas if necessary. Public transportation on busses and/or trains is not utilized at any time during the program. We do not approach or enter the Gaza Strip or any areas under the control of the Palestinian Authority.
Q: Do you offer travel insurance?
Please note that most insurance policies require purchase within 14-21 days of your date of registration for the trip. Israel Maven Tours has made arrangements with SMS Travel Insurance Center (Israel) of Omaha, Nebraska. SMS has over 25 years of experience as insurance brokers and can help you choose the policy that best meets your needs. Our contact person is Yonah Engel. Please mention this promo code when making your purchase: ISRAELMAVEN. For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact Yonah by phone in the USA at (402) 403-1053 or in Israel at 0522-873-665. Please note that Israel Maven Tours cannot accept responsibility for any losses or expenses which you or any member of your party may incur as a result of failure to secure adequate coverage.
Q: What is policy for those arriving/ departing early/late?
Participants who are not travelling together with the group are asked to coordinate their plans in advance with the group leader and the tour operator. Participants who are not arriving or departing together with the group are responsible for joining/ leaving the group at their own expense. We are happy to assist in arranging additional services such as VIP “meet & greet”, hotel accommodation, transportation, meals and touring as required. These will be billed separately to the participant.
Q: This trip sounds amazing! I am coming, but I want to stay longer to tour on my own. Is it possible to extend my trip?
YES! Please indicate this on your registration form. The team at Israel Maven will work with you to provide a customized experience that will include assistance with choosing hotels, activities, and transportation.
Q: Who do we contact with questions?
Please feel free to contact your Israel Maven Tours representatives Chani Walker or JJ Jonah with any questions you may have. They can be reached by email at email@example.com or JJ@israelmaven.com or by toll free phone 1-866-317-9307 ext 1